Wednesday 6 November 2013

Chess Piece Artist Statement


The chess piece is drawn with the same proportions as the real chess piece had, even though the chess piece I drew is bigger. It was taller than it was wide. The light shinning on my chess piece was coming from the right, so in my drawing the darkest parts were on the left side.

I made the background of my drawing stairs. The stairs are going in many different directions, which creates movement. To create pattern and rhythm I repeated shapes like rectangles and squares, these shapes are what formed the stairs.

There is a wide range of value in my drawing. The darkest parts of my drawing are the top left corner and the left side of the chess piece where the light isn’t shinning. I also used value to make my chess piece and the stairs appear three-dimensional.

The chess piece is drawn to look like it was on a stair. I divided the paper vertically into imaginary thirds and drew the chess piece placed on the left line.

The chess piece is the largest element in my drawing, which makes it stand out. It is also the most detailed object in my image and it is drawn with full value. The stairs around the chess piece always end up leading the viewer’s eye back to the chess piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment